Following two years of rigorous assessment, Inner Health (as part of Metagenics ANZ Pty Ltd) was proud to be the first Natural Medicine company in Australia and New Zealand to become B Corp certified!
B Corporations or B Corps are part of a global shift to redefine success in business, from profits to purpose, committing to use business as a force for good and making decisions that make a positive impact across their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment.
Certification is awarded by B Lab, an independent, non-profit organisation following an assessment of the company’s impact on all of its stakeholders – employees, suppliers, community, customers and the environment, against a set of environmental, ethical, accountability and transparency measures.
As a certified B Corp, we are guided by socially and environmentally focused principles that commit us to meeting high standards in these areas, not only in the workforce but in the community and to the environment, with the goal of bringing positive change to the world.
Purpose: To enhance the wellbeing of our ANZ communities by making the latest advancements in probiotic research simple and accessible.
Planet: We are passionate about minimising our impact on the environment. We are committed to operating at the highest ethical and socially responsible levels ourselves but also ensure the suppliers we work with also have a focus on their social and environmental impacts. We are targeting a 2% reduction in water consumption per year and are committed to reducing waste to landfill, a further 2% reduction per year.
People: We promote gender equality and diversity and are proud to be shaping a more equitable future for all.
While our B Corp journey has just begun, maintaining our B Corp status will continually challenge us to think about how we are affecting our environment, the community, our employees and our customers. Here are just a few of our achievements to date:
As well as providing premium, research-backed probiotics that help many people every year; we also support The Smith Family and One Health Organisation in their mission to improve community healthcare for refugees and the vulnerable. Over a 10-year partnership our parent company, Metagenics, has contributed 1.58 million dollars worth of stock.
- We have installed 1,950 solar panels on the rooftop of our Brisbane manufacturing facility and now 35-40% of our business’s energy requirements is provided from solar.
- To date, we have saved 563,154 kg of CO2 Emissions the Equiv. of 16,808 trees planted.
- Since February 2021, all non-refrigerated probiotics are packed using only bio compostable loose fill when sent to our suppliers. This fill is made from compostable vegetable starch, is 100% compostable and is also water-soluble.
- We have also made efforts to reduce waste at our facility, recycling 118,000 drinking cups, 40,000 coffee pods, 500kg of batteries and 250 print toners.
- We reduced paper consumption by 50 tonnes and plastic consumption by 13 tonnes.
- To reduce electronic waste or e-waste. A computer hardware refresh led to an e-waste recycling initiative where computer equipment was donated to a community charity, Substation33, which repurposed them to help disadvantaged young people learn new life skills.
We promote women in leadership with 61% of our leaders being female.
We are very proud of our B Corp status and the company we keep among over 4000 other leading certified companies. But B Corp certification is much more than just a symbol of trust for consumers. Joining the B Corp community demonstrates our on-going commitment to make a positive impact on people and the planet and provides a framework to assess and improve our performance as we grow and evolve each year. In undertaking this certification, we accept the challenge to lead through action and continue to be a force for positive change in the world.
Learn more about B Corporations here and next time you’re searching for a product or service, buy from a business you can believe in.